Sunday

A Little Bit Makes A Lot of Difference!


You keep telling yourself that you must exercise. You keep beating up on yourself when you haven't exercised. You keep telling yourself that you haven't got the time to exercise. Perhaps it's time to stop calling it 'exercise'.
The word sounds like such a chore...and who likes doing chores. It's something you do because you have to, not because you enjoy it. You want to get it out of the way, and subconsciously you're clock-watching, waiting for it to be over.
If you're trying to lose weight, don't exercise...do fat-burning (activities). This is what I've been doing for the last four weeks. As much as I love doing Tae Bo and Harvey's Fighting Fit Fighting Fat DVDs, I want to keep myself physically active, as much as possible, each day.
It doesn't have to be something requiring you to change into workout gear. There are lots of fat-burning activities you can do per day/per week, that will contribute to you trimming down your weight. Recently, I've done the following:
  • Putting on a children's CD and dancing around the living room with my two young DDs
  • Putting on my salsa/merengue CDs and doing salsa dancing/zumba-like fitness, while cooking, cleaning, tidying up.
  • Brushing up, instead of vacuuming. I've found brushing a carpet requires more energy than vacuuming. I've incorporated waist twists for even more fat-burn.
  • My own armlifts - no, not using weights...but my three year old daughter! This started by chance, when I lifted my daughter into the air and put her back down...and she wanted me to do it again...and again...and again...and again...It's now a regular in our household. I'm not complaining!
  • Lifting up both my DDs on either side of me and being a human see-saw! This they enjoy!
  • Being a lover of Strictly Come Dancing, who would love to learn the 'old fashioned' dances, I like to pick up either of my daughters, and dance the foxtrot..or the tango...and the waltz, and waltz around the room. They love it! My DDs sure aren't light (at 3 and 5), so I'm certainly developing some muscles in my arms when I lift them!
  • Occasionally walking back from school after taking first my eldest, then my youngest(in the afternoon). 'Power walking' to school to pick them up. It's about a twenty-five minute walk to school, but I often get there in fifteen minutes!Yee har!
  • Walking up and down the stairs at home, as much as possible per day.
I've been noticing the difference too - I'm looking a little trimmer, and have had a few comments from people too, so I guess I must be doing something right. I've also been changing how I eat...but I'll leave that for another blog post.
A little bit really does make a difference, and it hasn't felt like a chore at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment